Prayer and Conversation Guide #6 of 8
Based on sermon: “To Hell and Back”
1. Have you ever wondered why God went through all the trouble of the cross to deal with sin?
2. Read Matt. 26:39, 42, 44.
What does Jesus’ prayer tell you about options for dealing with sin that didn’t involve the cross?
What does Jesus’ prayer teach you about how to deal with the silence of God?
3. If Jesus knew the plan and knew his resurrection would follow the cross,
why did he become “overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death?” in Gethsemane?
4. Why do you think Jesus wanted Peter, James and John with Him in the garden?
What does this teach us about Jesus’ humanity?
Why do you think they couldn’t stay awake to pray?
What lessons about your personal prayer life can you learn from this example?
5. Why couldn’t God help or talk to His Son during the ordeal of the cross?
6. Have you ever felt abandoned by God?
What’s different about your experience and what Jesus experienced?
7. How is legalism or righteousness-by-works an insult to the cross?
8. How does it change your view of Christ, knowing that He died the second death for you?
9. How should this supreme sacrifice affect us? See 1 Jn. 4:19; 2 Cor. 5:14-15.