Prayer and Conversation Guide #1 of 8
Based on sermon: “The Cross and the Crisis”
1. Assuming there is a God, have you ever wondered if He cares about the misery
down here? Under what circumstances are you likeliest to ask this question?
2. Read John 3:14-15 and Numbers 21:4-9. What was Jesus saying about His
mission when he compared it to this incident?
3. What was the cause behind the crisis in the wilderness? (See Numbers 21:7.)
4. What is “sin”? (See 1 John 3:4) How else would you define it? Why don’t we
hear this word much today?
Read Numbers 21:8-9 again and describe how God’s solution was 1) available to
all; 2) totally undeserved; 3) beyond comprehension (yet simple enough for a child
to understand it).
6. Was it the snake or something else that saved the people? What?
7. Why do you think God used such an “absurd” means of healing the people?
What caused some of the people to die even after Moses did what God told him to
8. Explain why most people find the cross to be an absurdity. (See 1 Cor. 1:23.) Do
you, or have you ever, felt this way?
9. How is the general population’s reaction to sin similar to that of the beach goers
at Spring Break during the Corona crisis?
If all you see is what you see, you do not see all there is to be seen.
some of the things you have seen that may have caused you to trip and fall away
from God in the past? How would taking another look at Jesus help?